The 6 Most Common Causes for Application Rejection on Non-Lucrative Residence Permits

April 8th, 2019

During our many years of experience in dealing with Spanish immigration, we’ve come across some circumstances in which non-lucrative residence permit applications have been rejected by the Spanish immigration authorities.

In order to minimize the chances of non-approval for our clients, we’ve gathered below the list of the most common causes for rejection:

  1. Insufficient regular income

    Applicants must count on a relevant income as savings or receive periodic income from investments, pensions, etc., which should allow them and their family to support themselves while living in Spain for a minimum of six months per year.A non-lucrative residence application will be rejected when the applicant cannot prove a minimum monthly income of €2,151.36 (plus €537.84 for each economically dependent person).

  2. Limited medical insurance

    The compulsory medical insurance policy must be hired from a company operating in Spain and offer the same cover as the Spanish national health system. Travel medical insurance is not accepted and those insurance policies hired from their home countries offering medical coverage while in a foreign country are neither accepted, as they usually include many limitations.

  3. Lack of proof of accommodation

    We want to put some stress on a reason that has been and is actually a matter of deliberation, often ending in rejections not expressly motivated by the Spanish consular office. The Spanish embassies in some countries value and take more into consideration those applications filed by property owners in Spain. That is, that the applicant has bought a house in Spain. Even if rental properties can also be provided as proof of address, an owned property has more weight on the application. Nevertheless, we need to make it clear that the current Law on Immigration in Spain does not indicate proof of address as a requirement to be met when filing a non-lucrative residence permit application. However, we have found that some consular offices slightly mention it in their internal information for applicants, like for instance the Spanish embassy in Quito, Equator: “Accommodation Availability or proof of sources leading to such availability”.

  4. Lack of schooling plan

    If applicants have children in schooling age, which in Spain ranges from 6 to 16 years old, they will be required to prepare a schooling plan for them before submitting the applications. The usual procedure involves enrolling the children at a private school, often an international one, being the first step paying a school reservation fee deposit.

    Many applicants find it difficult to comply with the above mentioned requirements, especially since they must invest on a property rental or initial school fees without confirmation or guarantee that the residence permit applications will be approved.

  5. Failure to construct a convincing argument supporting the applicant’s real motivation

    Coherence and common sense are major factors when the authorities review a file and try to interpret the real intention behind a non-lucrative residence applicant. An unconvinced officer may conclude that the applicants are not truly willing to spend at least 6 months in Spain, but just want to acquire Spanish residency to gain freedom of movement around the Schengen area without the need to apply for entry visas, and will thus reject the application. We see two types here:

    • Incoherence in the family situation: Single applicants who apply for just one residence permit for themselves, and have planned to leave their family back home, will probably raise a red flag for the Spanish immigration officer in charge of reviewing the application file. In the officer’s view, this person will probably be unable to meet the minimum stay requirement if his family resides abroad.
    • Incoherence in the employment situation: When applying for a non-lucrative permit, it is assumed that applicants receive enough income from their business activity in their home country, and that such business activity doesn’t require their physical presence. This is easy to meet for wealthy business owners, or retired individuals living on high standard public or private pensions. However, we find that there are many young couples that happen to work salaried who want to relocate to Spain, but wish to keep their managing roles at their current companies (with offices in their home country). This may pose a problem when applying for the first time, as the Spanish immigration officer will deem improbable that the minimum stay requirements will be met, as a managing position cannot be left unattended for prolonged periods of time. In those rare cases where an initial application is approved, the bad news is delivered upon renewal, when applicants are unable to prove having spent enough time in Spain during the previous two years. In the remote work era, applicants may be able to convince immigration officers if they can make their current company sign a letter stating they are allowed to work remotely from within a foreign country for at least 6 months a year.
  6. Failing the interview at the embassy

    Once the application is submitted, the staff at the Spanish Embassy will interview the applicants to confirm that everything stated on the file is true, and to gather any other subjective information not present in the file which can be useful in deciding on the application outcome. They will want to know things such as whether there are any type of family bonds or business connections that support the application and justify the decision to choose Spain among other countries to settle down. Also, if the applicants have visited the country at least once on a recent date or if they have any relatives or business partners already residing in Spain.

    It should be an easy interview. However, a small percentage of applicants will surprisingly fail to provide the right answers to these questions, and some will even tell the embassy staff that they really don’t plan on living in Spain as residents, but instead want to use the residence card as a travel visa. This will result in an immediate rejection.

104 thoughts on “The 6 Most Common Causes for Application Rejection on Non-Lucrative Residence Permits

  1. Patricia Martin Post author

    Hello Timothy,

    I understand that Spanish consular offices do not accept applications from those holding loans or other financial obligations in the US, so this fact may jeopardize your chances of approval.

    I can´t confirm whether your medical condition will pose a problem, as one of the documents required for the NLV applications is that you provide with a medical certificate that confirms you are in good health, free of infectious diseases and not subject to quarantine. Your doctor will determine whether you meet the requirements.
    Also, note that you need to provide with a medical insurance policy that covers all medical services in Spain, including hospitalization costs and for a period exceeding 90 days, that is the usual cover in international health insurance policies. The insurance provider must be recognised by the Spanish authorities. You can check if your US insurance company is included in the list by clicking here.


  2. Michael Root

    I am looking for a way retire in Spain . I am buying a house . However my income per year is only about 20000 us.can you help me. Thanks Michael.

  3. Patricia Martin Post author

    Hello Michael,

    The Spanish authorities have pre-set financial requirements for those applying for retirement or non-lucrative residence permits in Spain. The minimum income required is 400% of the monthly IPREM (minimum wage in Spain), plus full private medical cover.

    The current monthly IPREM is €537.84, that makes €2,151.36 the minimum monthly income to be evidenced when filing non lucrative residence permit application, €25,816.32 per year.

    You need to increase your income in order to be eligible.

  4. Reba

    Hi Patricia,
    Can you say you are going to Spain to be with a significant other? Eventually planning on marriage but not there yet? I dated a Spaniard for nearly 2 years while I lived there. I want to find a way to go back legally but I am only 26, not sure if this visa would be a good fit.

  5. Patricia Martin Post author

    Hello Reba,

    The government announced some specific instructions for those cases where long time partners have been separated due to the pandemic. The aim of those instructions is to facilitate access to visit visas.

    You need to book an appointment at the relevant Spanish consular office and provide with documentation proving the relationship is stable and of lasting nature, being considered equivalent to a de facto partnership. If after sending the documentation to the relevant authorities in Spain, they believe these are sufficient to prove the relationship, the consulate will issue a certificate that you need to take with you and show it to the airline and passport control staff. Nevertheless, the final decision is taken at the border control in Spain.
    The usual documentation you need to provide is:

    – Documents proving that you are travelling with your partner or that the purpose of the trip is to reunite with them: travel tickets indicating you are on the same flight, notarized statement of your partner indicating your are travelling to stay with them.

    – Documents proving the relationship is stable and long lasting, like photos, travel reservations in chronological order (it must be apostilled, legalized documentation) Documents from Spanish public entities (appointments at the Civil Registry, town hall-empadronamiento)

    – Other documents where you contract obligations jointly (rental contracts, invitations to weddings, joint bills and invoices)

  6. Larry

    My job allows me to work remotely in any place as long as there is sufficient internet and electricity. I am planning to apply for NLV but I am not sure how the financial requirements work. I am professionally employed but my monthly income does not meet the 2120 euros/ month, but it is almost there (2000 euros/month.) However, I have 8550 euros in my bank for emergency fund, another 8550 as time deposits, and 12,000 euros investment in stocks and mutual funds (which are liquid assets). Can I combine my savings/stocks and my monthly income to meet the financial requirement? Or is it considered either monthly income or total savings in the account, and not a combination?

  7. Patricia Martin Post author

    Hello Larry,

    Our recommendation is that Non Lucrative visa applicants prove a steady and regular income of 2,300 euros per month.

    The minimum salary amount (IPREM) has increased in 2021 to €564.90 and the financial requirements for the type of visa you are interested in is 4 times the monthly IPREM, that is €2,259.60 per month, or €27,115.20 minimum income available in cash.

    If the current funds you can prove are available at all times and you can prove you are not moving to Spain to work ( be reminded that the NLV is a type of permit for those applicants that do not wish to carry out any work activity in or from Spain), you will be eligible for the Non Lucrative residence visa.

    Please feel free to contact us by email to look into your particular case in detail.

  8. Mimi

    Hi Patricia,

    Would it be okay to apply with a savings account instead of regular income? I inherited more than the required €27,115.20 and was wondering if I can show that. My bank has held this money for me for over six months and it’s accumulating interest in a savings account. Would bank statements and a letter from the bank be enough proof that I have this money?


  9. Patricia Martin Post author

    Hello Mimi,

    The consular office examines every case in detail. You can justify your income via a bank balance letter.

    Please feel free to contact us by email so we discuss your case further.

  10. Oswaldo martinez

    Hola patricia. Somos una pareja legalmente casados. Tenemos tres propiedades de renta bajo una corporacion .Mas yo estoy retiradoy recibo mensualmente mi retiro por el seguro social.En total recibimos mensual $6110.00 dolares. Ademas tenemos nuestro apartamento donde vivimos sin deuda . Quiero saber si esto seria suficiente para obtener la visa no lucrativa y poderla renovar al año? . Espero su respuesta . Saludos !

  11. Patricia Martin Post author

    Buenas tardes Sr. Martinez,

    Tras leer su comentario, le confirmo que cumple con los requisitos para el permiso de residencia no lucrativo. Podrá encontrar información detallada de los requisitos en el correo que le enviado.Según la legislación vigente, el ingreso mínimo a acreditar es del 400% del IPREM mensual para el solicitante principal y 100% IPREM mensual por cada dependiente. El IPREM actual (2021) es de 564,90€ mensuales. El 400% son 2.259,60 € mensuales, es decir, 27.115,20 € anuales.

    Además de cumplir con los requisitos económicos, deben tener contratado seguro médico privado en España y contar con alojamiento. Para poder renovar el permiso de residencia tras un año, y dado que dicha renovación extiende las autorizaciones por dos años más, la capacidad financiera debe cubrir los gastos de dos años en vez de dos: 54.230.04 €. (año 2021)


  12. julie palmer

    I would just like to know if the amount needed for non lucrative visa can be made up of pension and savings .Thank you

  13. Patricia Martin Post author

    Hello Julie,

    Yes, those sources of income are accepted.

    The usual accepted documentation is: ownership titles, certified bank checks and credit cards supported by a letter issued and stamped from the relevant bank or financial entity, indicating the available amount as well as the credit on the card. If the financial means are sourced from shares in foreign companies established in Spain, Spanish or mixed corporations, the applicant will have to prove, via a company certificate, that they do not carry out any work position in any of the said companies and will file a sworn declaration or affidavit to that end.

  14. Paul Miller

    I have no regular income but enough in the bank to cover the IPREM for five years. Is this sufficient for an application for the non lucrative visa? If so, how would I need to prove this? With bank statements etc?


  15. Patricia Martin Post author

    Mr. Miller,

    The usual accepted documentation is: ownership titles, certified bank checks and credit cards supported by a letter issued and stamped from the relevant bank or financial entity, indicating the available amount as well as the credit on the card. If the financial means are sourced from shares in foreign companies established in Spain, Spanish or mixed corporations, the applicant will have to prove, via a company certificate, that they do not carry out any work position in any of the said companies and will file a sworn declaration or affidavit to that end.

  16. Ana

    We are two retired senior sisters that would like to apply for the NLV in Spain. I meet the financial monthly requirements, plus cash in the bank from sale of my house. My son and wife (EU member) have been residents of Spain for over a year and own property and have their residency cards. They want us to be closer to them as we have no other family left.
    My sister however does not meet the financial requirements though she does receive monthly social security benefits. Because I will have enough cash to show in my bank account, can that help on her behalf? My son is prepared to write letter to show we will be staying with them upon arrival, for indefinite length,, and until the time we find property or rental. I read about family reunification but don’t know all pertinent details. Thank you.

  17. Patricia Martin Post author

    Hello Ana,

    Your sister is not considered a first grade relative and therefore, cannot be included in your NLRV application or be reunited via a family reunion permit, unless she has been your dependent and cohabited with you for at least one year. Also, her dependency would need to be based on severe health reasons, and you would have to prove you are her official caretaker. All those facts will need to be evidenced with official and proved documentation.

    Your son can apply for your or your sister´s family reunion in the event you are his dependents (see same conditions as explained above).

  18. Tili

    I am from the U.K. looking to get a Long term Student Visa and require a Police Check.
    I am currently waiting for my results for a DUI drugs blood test, after being arrested for driving under influence. I wanted to know if the results of this could affect my chances of getting a student visa?
    If this is on my police check will I be denied access?
    And when I have the offence on my record after the court date can I continue my Visa?
    I have no intent to drive when in Spain, and for the 3 years I would be there I wouldn’t have any need to travel by car.


  19. Phil wickison

    I am looking to apply for non Luke’s rice visa I have a draw down pension and draw down the right amount each month but my wife has no income currently but I can draw down extra if needed from my pension pot and can show how much is in the pot will this cover meet her criteria for the application

  20. Patricia Martin Post author

    Hello Phil,

    You need to check whether you meet the minimum financial requirements. You need to prove a monthly income of 400% IPREM (The Multiplier for the Public Income Index in Spain) in Spain and them add 100% monthly IPREM per dependent. The current IPREM in Spain is 564.90 Euros (2021), so you need to show a total monthly income of 2,824.50 Euros covering a whole year: 33,894 Euros.

  21. Irene Jeffries

    We have the savings in the bank for the 5 years but the only regular monthly money coming in is our UK state pension at £1.400 a month. Would this be enough for the NLV.

  22. Annie Train

    We are a gay couple who have been together for over 30 years and married for six years.My partner’s income meets the criteria for non luc residency, but mine does not.We are oaps.We own our own property in Spain and do not have a mortgage We would like to access health provision via contribution to the state insurance route.We also have joint savings of over £50000.Would we qualify fo a non lucrative residency permit. t ?

  23. Patricia Martin Post author

    Hello Irene,

    Each case is being revised by the consulate individually. Even if your regular income is not very high, you may still meet the financial requirements in the event your savings are high.

  24. Patricia Martin Post author

    Hello Annie,

    I recommend you to check the minimum financial requirements established in the current Immigration regulations and then make the needed calculations. The non-lucrative residence permit is geared towards those applicants who can demonstrate that they receive an income from a business, an investment or any other source –provided it does not require the applicants physical presence where the income is obtained– of at least 4 times the IPREM (Public Index of Multiple Effects), which is currently 564.90 Euros per month, suitable accommodation and private medical insurance.

    In principle, you meet the financial requirements.

  25. susan


    i was convicted of a felony in the us (embezzelment). it was 30 years ago. i paid everything back. wondering my chances are for getting NLV. ty.

  26. Patricia Martin Post author

    Hello Susan,

    Each case is considered individually and the embassy will check the nature of the conviction and the time that has passed before resolving the application. I do not anticipate any problems to be granted the NLV if the felony happened that long ago.

  27. Rachel

    My husband and I are hoping to move to Spain and apply for residency as self-employed individuals (so I realize it’s probably a different type of residence permit). He has dual citizenship in the U.S. & the Philippines (which apparently makes it possible to achieve permanent residency more quickly). Do you know if citizens of the Philippines get any type of break on the monthly income requirement? If not, do we both need to prove the $2300/month, or can it be $3000 total between us (if I say I’m his “dependent”). Also, I own a house in the U.S., which I rent out. After paying the mortgage & prop. mgmt co., I make a monthly profit. Can that be included in our monthly income? What documentation is needed to prove this? Would having student loans cause a rejection? Finally, I take an antidepressant to manage an auto-immune disorder. As long as I take that, I’m fine. Would that be considered “good health”.

  28. Patricia Martin Post author

    Hello Rachel,

    The fact that your husband is also a Philippine national does not make it easier or quicker to obtain a long term residence permit. It is beneficial in terms of the Spanish nationality application, as he will be able to apply after two years of becoming a Spanish resident instead of having to wait for 10 years.

    The monthly income requirement applies to all non-EU nationals regardless their nationality. The income amounts you mention in your message applies to the Non Lucrative Residence permit application and not the Self Employed work and residence permit application. The former does not include a work permit and the latter does. You need to be sure what type of permit you are applying for as the requirements vary.
    A Self Employed work and residence permit application mainly requires a business plan and proof of investment (that you have the financial capacity to cover the business set up costs and needs during the first year) but not a monthly income.
    Rental income can be also provided as proof if income in Non Lucrative Residence permit applications. This can usually be proven via copy of rental contracts, proof that you are the registered owner of the house and then bank statements showing the rental payments coming into your account. If you are declaring the rental in your income tax, this document can also be provided. Student loans aren’t usually a cause of rejection though some consulates are asking for proof of not having charges or loans in the USA, but this is something the Spanish Immigration Law does not mention.
    In response to your question about the medical certificate, there shouldn’t be any problems as long as the medical certificate indicates your are generally in good health and that your condition is under control due to your medication.

  29. Ali

    Is it acceptable that my sister’s husband transferred to my account a certain amount in order to make me eligible to apply for the non profit visa and it is in real a family donation and will be kept in my banks account.

  30. Patricia Martin Post author

    Hello Ali,

    You can prove you have sufficient funds in an account to cover your living expenses to live in Spain for a year via a bank certificate proving you have the minimum income. The embassy can ask whether you have regular income, and you´d have to explain your situation. Then, the embassy will make their own interpretation of your eligibility.

    Your situation is not the ideal one though it does not contravene any rules:

    Documentation proving having economic means for the period requested:

    It can be accredited by any means of proof, including the provision of property titles, certified checks or credit cards accompanied by a bank certification that accredits the amount available as credit on the card.

    If the means come from shares or participations in Spanish, mixed or foreign companies, located in Spain, it will be accredited by means of certification of the same that the applicant does not exercise any work activity, accompanying an affidavit in this regard.

  31. Karen Hughes

    Hello. Maybe this has been answered before but unsure. I own outright a home in Spain , am debt free and have sufficient savings to retire permanently in Spain and due to receive my uk state pension in February 2024. My concern is that applying for the NLV I understand that a criminal record check will be required of which I don’t have in Spain but over 12 years ago I received a suspended sentence (suspended due to mitigating circumstances as a victim of serious domestic violence) and overpaid monies to me were reimbursed . Will this suspended sentence despite being “spent” for years now , affect my application for an NLV? I am doing the 90/180 days for now but seriously want to retire to my home in Spain . TIA

  32. Patricia Martin Post author

    Hello Karen,

    Each case is examined independently but, generally speaking, when the records refer to a sentence served more than 10 years ago it is considered expired. In principle, the suspended sentence you mention should have no effect your NLV application.

  33. Tim

    I intend applying for a NLV with two dependants (wife and child). My question is as follows: If my application is successful I have three months in which to arrive in Spain, but do my dependants also have to arrive within this time frame, or can they arrive at a later time (a month or two later, to allow time for my wife to resign and tie up loose ends)? Also, is there any condition preventing me from leaving Spain for a short time (a month perhaps) immediately after requesting/obtaining my Tarjeta de identidad de Extranjeros?

  34. Tim

    Hello again,
    As is often the case I found one of the answers shortly after asking the question. The NLV for each dependant has the same validity period and my dependants would therefore also need to arrive in Spain within the three months. Perhaps you would be so kind as to answer the other part of my question. Would we need ID cards (all of us?) before we could leave for a short period? If so, how long does this typically take?
    Thank you.

  35. Patricia Martin Post author

    Hello Tim,

    There´s no obligation for all the family members to travel at the same time, but always bear in mind the 3 months rule.

    Nevertheless, the Spanish authorities are very flexible and will happily process your TIE application after 4 months if needed.

    The TIE ( ID cards) are applied for once you enter Spain, based on your permit approvals. The actual cards will take a month or so to be issued and you can either stay all that time or leave and come in the event you have not exceeded the visa free status you are allowed to have since UK nationals don’t need visas to enter Spain. You can spend 90 days out of 180 days in Spain/EU, so if you have not exceeded that amount of time in the EU n the last six months, you can leave and come back.


  36. Tim

    Hello Patricia,
    Thank you for your reply. I am not a UK national though. The problem I foresee is that we might find ourselves needing to leave Spain briefly during the period of waiting for the TIE. Since it will take us a while to arrive in Spain on our first entry on the NLV, the three month period may have passed while we wait for the TIE, in which case we could not leave until the cards were issued. I have just found that one can get autorización de regreso while waiting for the TIE, which would allow re-entry. Would that still apply if the three month validity of the NLV had expired?

  37. Patricia Martin Post author

    Hello Tim,

    Please accept my apologies for assuming you were a UK national.

    In that case, you may be able to get a return authorization exceptionally, as return authorizations are intended for people travelling with expired cards and not for those that hold an initial authorization and are waiting for their first cards. The best thing to do is to remain in Spain during that first month.

  38. Anne

    hi Patricia
    My partner and I have been together for 25 years. We are applying for a NLV.
    He owns the property in Tenerife and he supports me financially, so the Spanish Bank account is in his name but the required amount needed for us BOTH for the year, he will ensure is in this account.
    My query is, is that acceptable to the Spanish Consulate when we arrange our appointments, as I have no income and no Spanish Bank account but can show a Certificate from the Bank showing his account details?
    Thank you

  39. Patricia Martin Post author

    Hello Anne,

    The funds are expected to be deposited in your partner´s account, as he is your sponsor; you are his dependent.
    The bank certificate showing the balance in his name will also serve as proof of funds in your application as long as you can prove the family relationship (marriage certificate, partnership registration).

    The funds in his account must cover the minimum required amount for two applicants during one whole year ( validity of the residence permit), that amounts to 400% monthly IPREM for the main applicant and 100% IPREM for the dependent. The monthly IPREM in Spain is 564.90 Euros for the year 2021.

    The exact minimum amount for two applicants is 33,894 Euros, though we highly recommend to increase this amount if possible.

    Please feel free to contact us if you wish to discuss further

  40. Juliane

    Hello! My husband and I would like to move to Spain for a year to have our three children attend school and become fluent in Spanish as well as take a break from work for a year (a sabbatical). He is in the US military but is able to take a sabbatical and receive 1/16 of his normal pay per month without working. Would this inhibit our NLV? We do have enough in the bank for our whole family to live for one year. Thanks!

  41. Dexter

    Both my wife and I got refused residency thru the withdrawal agreement as we purchased our health insurance policy too late ( 01/03/2021) we got non-favourable. We then decided to go down the non-lucrative route. My wife received her visa but mine got denied because I have a conviction from 20 years ago. I got 6 months in a young offenders institution. The crime is officially spent in the UK. Have I got grounds for an appeal? And is this something you could help us with? We are based in Los Boliches ( Fuengirola)

  42. Patricia Martin Post author

    Hello Juliane,

    You seem to be eligible for the NLV though I recommend you check you meet the minimum financial requirements and that you will be certain that the funds to cover your expenses are based on savings and not subject to work commitments.

    I recommend you to seek professional assistance to prepare a solid application and have an expert immigration consultant confirm your meet the minimum financial criteria the Immigration regulations have established.

    Please feel free to contact us to discuss further.


  43. Patricia Martin Post author

    Hello Dexter,

    The rejection can be appealed as long as you can provide with an official document indicating the crime records has been cleared, be it for the crime been spent, as you mention.
    Also, keep in mind the deadline for the appeal: one month after receiving the rejection notification.

    Please feel free to contact us if you wish to discuss further.

  44. Arnelle Avellan

    Does the 1 year visa begin the day it is approved or the day you enter Spain? We have two school aged children and we aren’t sure when to apply, we don’t want to get approved too early if the 365 day visa begins at approval. Or for the year to end before the school year is finished.

    Thank you!

  45. Patricia Martin Post author

    Hello Arnelle,

    The authorities start counting the residency days the day you enter Spain with your visa.

    Please free to email us using the contact form if you need further assistance.

  46. Alex

    Hi, hope all is well. My wife and I are interested in buying an investment property in Spain to keep as a vacation home. We currently own two properties here in the states and have 401k plus pensions that we plan to use once we retire. We want to retire early and anticipate to have cash between 400k to 500k in early retirement until SS which we anticipate it to be around 3k per month. Two questions: will the income suffice for the NLV ?

    Second question: I have an arrest record over 20 years ago (misdemeanor domestic violence) charges were dropped I was not convicted, but took an anger management course. I was a teenager when this happened and no one got hurt. Will this prevent me from getting approved for the NLV

  47. Patricia Martin Post author

    By Reading your message it seems you meet the financial requirements. The minimum income to prove in order to be eligible for the NLV is 400 % monthly IPREM (minim income in Spain, currently circa 570 Euros) for the main applicant, plus 100% monthly IPREM for the dependent.
    The first authorization is granted for a year (12 months), so you need to show at least an income of 2,850 Euros per month (34,200 euros per year) for both of you.

    In response to your question about the criminal records, the embassy would consider the specific situation.
    The fact that an applicant has criminal records does not immediately mean that the long term visa will be rejected. The Spanish embassy will take into consideration the type of offense and the amount of time that has passed since the sentence was passed and then served, if that was the case. If you weren´t convicted and the matter happened more than 10 years ago, I don’t anticipate any problem, but the embassy has the last word.

    Please feel free to use our contact information if you wish to discuss your case further.

  48. Abhishek

    Hello, hope you’re doing well.

    I applied for NLV in March 2020 and my application was approved. However due to Covid I couldn’t move to Spain that year before the expiry of the visa. This year I decided to move to Spain again and applied for NLV at the same consulate again. I demonstrated more than EUR 100,000 in savings and stocks(this was more than what I demonstrated the last time around when my application was successful), and yet my application and the administrative appeal was rejected. I am not sure what has changed since they have rejected the very same person that they gave the visa to last year. All the documents were in order just like last year and I even had a rental accommodation booked in Barcelona.

    If it helps, I am a 32-year old on a career break currently holding no employment.


  49. Patricia Martin Post author

    Hello Abhishek,

    There may be various reasons for the rejection. We´d need to see the rejection letter and review the filed documents in order to provide with our advice.

    Please feel free to contact us using our contact form if you wish to discuss your case in detail.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.